The key academic components of the M.A. in Engaged & Public Humanities program are described below and include the following:
Academic requirements for the MAEPH Program are:
- Four 3-credit core courses (see below for descriptions).
- Four 3-credit elective courses in a disciplinary or interdisciplinary area chosen from across the Main Campus and the Law School under the guidance of a mentor.
- Two 3-credit mentored Internships and/or Field Research Projects. (Note: Field Research Projects are permissible only if the student is already working in a public humanities
- A capstone project that integrates the student’s humanities scholarship with his/her internships or field research projects, designed to reach a public audience. View the projects our certificate students have done.
- Time to degree: two semesters, plus one summer (full-time) OR four semesters, two summers (part-time). (See below for sample trajectories.)
Time to Degree
The usual time to complete the MAEPH program is:
Two semesters, plus one summer (full-time)
Four semesters, plus two summers (part-time).
Sample Student Trajectories
The Full-Time Student: Complete Degree in One Full Calendar Year
- Fall: Two core courses, two electives.
- Spring: Two core courses, two electives.
- Summer: Equivalent of six credits of Internship and or Field Research Projects, culminating in a Capstone project with a public outreach component.
The Part-Time Student: Complete Degree in Four Semesters and two Summers
- Fall I: Two core courses.
- Spring I: One core course; one elective.
- Summer I: One internship or field research project.
- Spring II: Two electives.
- Fall II: One core course; one elective.
- Summer II: One internship or field research project, culminating in a capstone project with a public outreach component.
Detailed course descriptions can be found on the Course Descriptions page.
In the MAEPH program, you’ll experience mentored, meaningful internships. We work with strong organizations to curate positive internship experiences for our students. Some possibilities included HERE.
Under development – check back soon.