These are the key academic components that you will need to complete in the MA Program in Engaged & Public Humanities.
Students are required to complete 30 credits in the program. Academic requirements for the MAEPH Program are:
- Four 3-credit core courses.
- Four 3-credit elective courses in a disciplinary or interdisciplinary area chosen from across the Main Campus and the Law School under the guidance of a mentor.
- Two 3-credit mentored Internships and/or Field Research Projects. (Note: Field Research Projects are permissible only if the student is already working in a public humanities organization.)
- A capstone project that integrates the student’s humanities scholarship with their internships or field research projects, designed to reach a public audience.
Detailed information about each core course, the electives, internships and capstone projects can be found on the Curriculum and Internships pages.
Time to Degree
The usual time to complete the MAEPH program is:
Two semesters, plus one summer (full-time)
Four semesters, plus two summers (part-time).
Sample Student Trajectories
The Full-Time Student: Completes Degree in One Full Calendar Year
- Fall: Two core courses, two electives.
- Spring: Two core courses, two electives.
- Summer: Equivalent of six credits of Internship and or Field Research Projects, culminating in a Capstone project with a public outreach component.
The Part-Time Student: Completes Degree in Four Semesters and two Summers
- Fall I: Two core courses.
- Spring I: One core course; one elective.
- Summer I: One internship or field research project.
- Spring II: Two electives.
- Fall II: One core course; one elective.
- Summer II: One internship or field research project, culminating in a capstone project with a public outreach component.